Thursday, November 22, 2007

Late Night TV

Late night TV advertisements are...distracting, if you know what I mean.
Though there are good TV series re-runs on. Like Everybody Loves Raymond and My Wife and Kids. Good entertainment for when I can't sleep. But then there's the bad ones like Passions. So freaking dramatic. Ewww. I remember having to watch it before the cartoons started when I was in primary school D:

I had to do an oral on a monologue for English. Dave pointed out this one for me, so here it is:

This monologue is from the Quentin Tarantino’s pop cult classic Kill Bill Volume 2. In which the protagonist Beatrix Kiddo swears revenge on ex-lover Bill and his gang The Deadly Viper Assassination Squad for killing her fiancĂ©, Tommy Plimpton, and friends at her wedding rehearsal. Beatrix once called herself a Deadly Viper, but in the wake of falling pregnant with Bill’s child she left the business in the hope of leading a “normal” life for the child’s security. This scene in the film is just after Bill injects Beatrix with truth serum. He tries to make a point before it starts to take effect.

Bill: As you know...I'm quite keen on comic books. Especially the ones about superheroes. I find the whole mythology surrounding superheroes fascinating. Take my favorite superhero, Superman. Not a great comic book. Not particularly well-drawn. But the mythology...The mythology is not only great, it's unique.

Beatrix: How long does this shit take to go into effect?

Bill: About two minutes. Just long enough for me to finish my point. Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone. Superman didn't become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S" -that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He's weak...he's unsure of himself...he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race. Sorta like Beatrix Kiddo and Mrs. Tommy Plimpton.


School will officially be out on Friday, my last exam. Wish me luck.
Random thing my Mum bought me: Banana shaped paper clips
Good night
Steph

No comments: